Stand By Me
Stand By Me, a UK charity, became aware of the needs caused by extreme levels of poverty in Bekoji, Ethiopia. Moved by the commitment of the local church to provide education, they adopted the Bethany School where today they are providing the poorest children with a quality education, daily food, health care and family support. The Bekoji Children’s Home was later opened to care for orphaned and at-risk children. The Abdi Academy opened in 2013 to meet the needs of children in the town of Dembi Dollo.
Who are we?
A team, mostly from the Burley Home Group, has undertaken trips biennially with Stand By Me. In 2011 they made their first trip to Bethany School in Ethiopia and have returned five times since to carry out practical tasks to improve the lives of the children and their families. They welcome new members to their team.
How is TBC supporting us?
- The Burley Home Group continues to financially support the school through child sponsorship
- Gifts for one-off projects — e.g. Providing funding for a bore hole and towards a laboratory and care centre in Dembi Dollo
- For the safety for all staff and children during continued political unrest
- Wisdom regarding the success of Bethany School in Bekoji and Abdi Academy in Dembi Dollo where demand outweighs finance
- The love of Christ to be shown through the work in Ethiopia